K.K.F Flax seeds
Flaxseeds are a powerhouse of protein, fibre, lignans and omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin B1, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in good amounts.
- Characteristics – guru (heavy), snigdha (smooth), pichhil (slimy nature)
- Taste – madhura (sweet), tikta (bitter)
- Taste developed post digestion – katu (pungent)
- potency – Ushna (hot potency)
- Effect on Tridosha – balances Vata, increases Pitta and Kapha
Flaxseeds in the Kitchen
- Mix with your everyday hot or cold cereal or oatmeal breakfast.
- Mix them up with your smoothies especially date almond shake or even spiced milk.
- Mix them into cookie, muffin, bread or other batters.
Ayurvedic Properties of Flaxseeds
- MEDHYA: (Brain booster) They are rich in omega 6 and omega 3 that enhance the functions of human brain.
- BALYA: (Strength provider) They support the immune system and muscular strength.
- MALAKRUT: They help remove toxins from the body and increase bulk of faeces.
- DIPANA: They stimulate digestive fire and lubricates the digestive tract.
- Flaxseeds oxidise quickly once it is ground. So it is best to grind them right before use.
- Consumption of flaxseed is not advised in high pitta or kapha conditions like bleeding disorders and eye diseases.